In collaboration with the Center for World Indigenous Studies, the center conducts research on topics of ancestral nutrition, traditional medicine and complementary/integrative medicine to improve public health among tribes in the Pacific northwest, Mexico and Canada.
Our research methods include participatory research, collaborative action methodologies, indigenous & feminist methodologies, and social marketing evaluation.
- Traditional Medicine of West Mexico is an ongoing project documenting indigenous healing practices in West Mexico.
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), Portland, OR, 2012-13
year-long, formative evaluation looked at the convergence and divergence of Indigenous ecological and conventional ecological
sciences for stakeholders' involved in the development of this exhibit, and to ensure the successful development of the exhibit.
- Massage Research Foundation Community Service Grant, Indigenous People of Mexico, 2010-201.
- Fulbright Award, Traditional Medicine in Mexico, Universitario de la Costa de Guadalajara, Mexico, 2009-2010
- Lummi Education Futures Project. Qualitative narrative interviews and analysis with tribal elders and educational stakeholders involved with integration of cultural standards into K-12 curriculum for tribal schools, 2008
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant. Polarity Therapy for Dementia Caregivers; A Randomized Clinical Study of Polarity Therapy with American Indian Caregivers, 1 R21 AT001627-01A1 NIH/NCCAM,2004-2007
- NIH grant support for training; 2 Minority research supplements to mentor 1 pre-doctoral and 1 postdoctoral candidate. 2005-2007
- Center For World Indigenous Studies, Africa First, World Health Organization and the United Nations. Traditional Medicine and HIV/AIDs; collaborative policy development between traditional healers, Ghana, 2004-2005
- Minnesota Foundation, Women’s Traditional Medicine Project, West Mexico, 1997-2001
- Self-Government Evaluation Project, Lummi Indian Nation, WA, 1995
- Research Consultant. Kaiser Hospital Research Program, San Francisco, 1995
- NIH Review Panel, National Institute of Aging/ARDC/ADCC, 2004
- NIH Review Panel National Children’s Study, 2006